10 fashion blunders and how to avoid them
Need some fashion advice? Here are some of the 10 worst fashion blunders-- and how to avoid them.
When it comes to fashion, most people want to look their best. Unfortunately, many people also commit common fashion blunders on a daily basis without even realizing it. Here are some of the ten worst fashion blunders-- and how you can avoid them.
1. Clothes that are too tight. Clothes that are too tight just look bad. If you are habitually sucking in your belly or laying down on the floor to get your pants zippered, you may be trying to cram yourself into a too-small size. Tight clothes do not make you look thinner; on the contrary, the tight clothes will accentuate your bulges.
2. Showing underwear lines. No one wants to see your panty and bra lines. Invest in some thong underwear for the days when you want to wear those white pants. Avoid decorative or lacy bras when you are wearing sheer or light colored tops-- the bra decor will show through. Make sure to wear an appropriate color bra-- black bras do not look good underneath white tops!
3. Clothes that are too baggy. If you're heavy, you may think you can cover things up by dressing yourself in baggy, tent-like clothes. Unfortunately, the baggy clothes will only make you look heavier. Try to find comfortable clothes in your correct size.
4. Clothes that are too short. Micro mini skirts come in and out of style, but they only look good on very few people. In general, clothes that are too short should be avoided. If you are in a work environment, make sure your skirts are an appropriate length (usually no more than an inch or two above the knee).
5. Not dressing your age. A sixty year old woman, no matter how great her body is, should avoid shopping in the department store "Juniors" department. Sure the clothes are hip and trendy, but you'll look much better if your attire is age-appropriate. Skip the belly shirts and the Daisy Duke shorts and try to find stylish clothes that are more suitable for your age range.
6. Clothes that are out of style. The Nehru jacket went out of style in the 1960's, so if you still have one in your closet it may be time to part ways with it. The same thing goes for pencil-thin neckties and shirts with big, bulky shoulder pads. Out of date fashions do not look good on anyone, period. If you're holding on to these clothes in the hopes that they may come back in style, keep in mind that, while fashion trends do tend to cycle back, they usually come back with a slightly variation. Thus, it's doubtful that your pastel-colored Miami Vice style jacket will ever be in vogue again.
7. Clothes with wrinkles and stains. This one sounds like a no-brainer, but it's truly unbelievable how many people break this fashion rule. You don't want to look like you just rolled out of bed, so if your clothes are wrinkled-- please iron them! Scan your clothes under a bright light for stains before you put them on-- sometimes unsightly stains just seem to appear out of nowhere.
8. Forgetting important undergarments. Even flat-chested women need to wear a bra every day. A bra provides you with much needed support and coverage. Many women go for years wearing the incorrect size bra, but an ill-fitting bra will not provide you with the support that you need. Take the time to go to a lingerie or department store and have yourself measured and fitted for a bra by a professional.
9. Wearing the wrong color. Depending on your skin tone, certain colors may not look so good on you. A lime green top, for example, may make your complexion look sallow. Consider getting a professional color chart done to determine which colors are most flattering for your complexion and then avoid colors that clash with your skin tone.
10. Wearing worn out clothes, shoes or pantyhose. Even well-made clothes wear out eventually. Check garments for worn out elbows, rips and tears. Scuffed shoes are another big fashion no-no, so invest in some shoe polish to remedy that problem. If the heels on your favorite shoes are getting worn, take them to be repaired. You can only get a few good wearings out of a typical pair of pantyhose, so don't waste your time trying to repair rips with clear nail polish. Pantyhose is generally inexpensive, so just spring for a fresh pair when your old ones become worn out.
Wardrobe Basics - Items Every Women should haveWeather you are just starting out in this world and need to put a foundation wardrobe in place or if you are giving your wardrobe a refresher here are some wardrobe ideas to help you get started.
One pair of dark slacks for the evening with a fuller cut. These can be a fabric that drapes either a light wool or jersey mix.
- One should be black and match your black trousers.
- The second one should be more neutral like off-white, camel or taupe.
- The third sweater should just simple be a sweater that you love and feel great in. Nothing too dressy - one you can wear to the office and with jeans.
- A tailored jacket that matches your black pants.
- A sporty leather jacket
- A classic trench coat or raincoat with a zip -out wool liner for multiple seasons.
- A knee-length transition coat that works for day and night.
- A winter coat in a wool or cashmere blend or if you live in a warmer climate try tropical wool.
- A classic leather style with clean lines that works for everything.
- A catch all fun tote bag
- A envelope shaped, bracelet style for the evening.
- A pair of black pumps 2.5-3.5 inch heel in a the current style.
- A evening shoe with a close toe in a black satin.
- A pair of tall black boots
- Bad-weather boots
- A pair of sneakers or tennis shoes.
When and where to wear skirt suitsSkirt suits are the standard for conservative business dressing and can be worn to weddings and parties.
The skirt suit has a dressy, classic appeal that cannot be matched by a dress or even a slacks suit. This appeal makes it an appropriate style for many occasions.
In days past, brides often chose a neat, pastel-colored skirt suit as a traveling outfit. These days, a suit hardly seems to be the best choice for taking off on one's honeymoon, and brides are choosing more casual apparel for this purpose. Even so, a skirt suit is a valuable and versatile addition to any woman's wardrobe.
What is business casual?An overview of clothing items that are great to wear to the office for business casual environments.
Business Casual @ Work
Dressing for work has evolved from suits and heels to khaki's and loafers. However, you must remember to use your own flair and keep things basic for the office. Business casual does not mean that you can go to work looking sloppy. Everything must be neatly pressed and in order.
A few basic pieces that you can not live without include khaki's, loafers, white shirt and the proper accessories. Of course, you can also add other things such as basic dress pants, your favorite sweater. You can add color by using scarves, earrings and hair accessories.
Strategies for buying pants for any body style
Tips for wearing slim pants
What to look for in a suitChoosing a suit may seem daunting, but if you remember the four F's, you'll be able to shop wisely and make a good investment.
A new suit is a big investment. With all the options out there, choosing a suit may seem daunting, particularly if it's your first. Although it is possible to find a sale on a good suit, it is never a bargain to buy a cheap suit. Your suit is your professional image, and a poorly made, ill-fitting suit will detract from that. The four things to look for when purchasing a suit are: fashion, fabric, fit and finish. Although you absolutely have to try a suit on to ensure the proper fit, you can and should take the time to browse suits online before you go shopping. This will help you focus on the type of suit you want and make your shopping trip go more smoothly.
Fashion. Before you head out shopping, take a minute to decide what sort of suit you're wishing to purchase. If you are interviewing with an investment firm, you will want something quite conservative. If your business or clientele is less conservative, then you can explore a wider range of colors, textures, and cuts. If this will be your only suit, then you will want one that is fairly conservative and most likely black. Consider purchasing both skirt and slacks for the jacket, if available. This will give you two options with only three pieces.
Fabric. Women have more than one option when it comes to suit fabric. Heavy wool is a classic choice that will look sharp and wear well. The heavier the wool, the better the suit will drape. For summer there is also the option of a lighter wool garbardine. A linen suit is a lightweight choice for summer, but linen wrinkles very easily. Linen is rarely a good choice for traveling, unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time ironing or arranging for housekeeping to do so. There are also blends available in some women's suits. Although many of these will travel well, they may also look cheaper to the eye. If you choose a suit made from a blended fabric, be certain that the cut and sizing are of high quality.
Fit. This is the most important feature of your suit. If the suit does not fit you properly, it does not matter how well it was made or how much it cost. An ill-fitting suit makes the wearer look awkward and unprofessional. When you shop for suits you must be prepared to try many on before you find the ones that work best for you. This is more challenging for women than men, because there are a wider range of styles to choose from. A size 8 may vary from brand to brand, not only in general terms but in breadth of shoulders, length of torso, and so on. Wear comfortable dress shoes to try on suits. It is difficult to tell if a pant leg needs to be hemmed if you have tennis shoes on. If you are planning on wearing a buttondown shirt under your suitjacket, then wear one when you go to shop for it. The arms of a suitjacket may fit just fine with a sleeveless shell, but be too tight with a cotton Oxford shirt.
Finish. Besides being well-fitted to your particular figure, a suit must be well-made. The jacket should not hang in folds and should not wrinkle, unless it is linen. The buttonholes should be neatly hemmed with a color of thread that blends into the color of cloth. Buttons should not be loose. All seams should be straight and even, and the shoulders should be identically set into the jacket, not one higher than the other. There should be lining on the jacket and skirt and it should be sewn in, not glued.
Keep the four F's in mind and purchasing a suit can be a lot of fun. A good suit makes its wearer feel more efficient and more confident. With a good suit, you can tackle anything--even the challenge of buying another suit.
Makeup and clothes tips for when clubbingFashion tips for makeup and clothings for going out clubbing.
Whether you are going out to the local club for a night out with the girls or going out to make a few new friends your appearance should be a number one priority. Clubs are a place where you go to be seen and in a situation where everyone is dressed to impress your first impression will be a lasting one. You always want to be sure that you make your entrance in a style that suite you best.